Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Getting Started...

After rehearsal tonight, I realized that I needed reeds again. My last foray into ReedLand got me about 4 boxes of alto reeds, which I'm down to my last 4...2 of which are playable, 2 of which can make moderately pleasant noises if coaxed. Of those 4 reeds, 1 is a Rico Jazz and the other 3 are Glotin. I really liked the Rico Jazz (NOT Select), but they stopped making them.

I started this blog because I was gently knudged that in this day and age, others might possibly benefit from my trek.

So...how do you get a Rico Jazz #1.5 these days? Buy a Select and take the knife to it!?

This is merely a starter post, so have at it. I've not even begun to touch on my mouthpiece hajj of the 90's.

2 comments:

Jeff Kopmanis said...

In High School, I played on the equivalent of a 3 but in either a LaVoz or BARI brand. The BARI was an interesting reed because it was 100% synthetic, but actually absorbed moisture like a cane reed. I played on a Berg Larson 0.085" tip opening, which is on the wide side.

Since graduation, the realist in me found that those reeds were impossible to play more than an hour's worth, and soon, I started softening up. I shifted to an extreme: a #1 and shaved softer. Intonation is a little harder to maintain, but I've played for 7 hours (averaging 10-15 mins break per hour), which I could never have accomplished with my previous setup.

Jeff Kopmanis said...

doy. I think I'm going to head out to Carty's and pick up 1 or 2 each of the Rico Jazz Select, and the VanDoren ZZ, JAVA and V16...just to try out.